Spatial and cross-product price linkages in the Brazilian pine timber marketsAuthor(s): Bruno Kanieski da Silva; Stella Z. Schons; Frederick W. Cubbage; Rajan Parajuli
Source: Forest Policy and Economics
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Southern Research Station
Download Publication (3.0 MB)
The South of Brazil is one of the most attractive regions for timberland investments in the world. High pro- ductivity and relatively attractive timber prices have gained attention from timberland investors. However, as in most emerging countries, it is not very clear how prices are transmitted across products and markets. Having this information is essential to strategic planning as well as understand the market structure. We investigate market linkages of the stumpage price of five products (fuelwood, pulpwood, sawtimber, veneer, and special veneer) in the three main pine producing states in Brazil (Paraná, Santa Catarina and Rio Grande do Sul). We use linear and regime shifting models and check the effect of external shocks on price transmission. The nonlinear process is observed main on high grade timber (veneer and special veneer), possibly driven by their price recovery after the recession. Our results show that the spatial and between product price ratio converges back the market equilibrium within 10 months in the pine stumpage market in Brazil. This outcome indicates this market is efficient with small opportunities for arbritage profits.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationKanieski da Silva, Bruno; Schons, Stella Z.; Cubbage, Frederick W.; Parajuli, Rajan. 2020. Spatial and cross-product price linkages in the Brazilian pine timber markets. Forest Policy and Economics. 117: 102186-. https://doi.org/10.1016/J.forpol.2020.102186.
KeywordsTimber markets Price transmission, Timberland investments STAR, Market linkage
- Global timber investments, wood costs, regulation, and risk
- Evaluation of U.S. southern pine stumpage market informational efficiency
- Assessing market power in the U.S. pulp and paper industry
XML: View XML