Skip to Main Content
Urban tree monitoring: a field guideAuthor(s): Lara A. Roman; Natalie S. van Doorn; E. Gregory McPherson; Bryant C. Scharenbroch; Jason G. Henning; Johan P.A. Ӧstberg; Lee S. Mueller; Andrew K. Koeser; John R. Mills; Richard A. Hallett; John E. Sanders; John J. Battles; Deborah J. Boyer; Jason P. Fristensky; Sarah K. Mincey; Paula J. Peper; Jess Vogt
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-194. Madison, WI: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 48 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Northern Research Station
Download Publication (6.0 MB)
DescriptionThis report provides detailed protocols for urban tree monitoring data collection. Specifically, we discuss the core variables necessary for field-based monitoring projects, including field crew identification, field crew experience level, tree record identifier, location, site type, land use, species, mortality status, crown vigor, and trunk diameter. The intent of this Field Guide is to serve urban forest managers and researchers who collect longitudinal field data on urban trees, as well as interns and citizen scientists. This report is a companion document to Urban Tree Monitoring: A Resource Guide.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationRoman, Lara A.; van Doorn, Natalie S.; McPherson, E. Gregory; Scharenbroch, Bryant C.; Henning, Jason G.; Ӧstberg, Johan P.A.; Mueller, Lee S.; Koeser, Andrew K.; Mills, John R.; Hallett, Richard A.; Sanders, John E.; Battles, John J.; Boyer, Deborah J.; Fristensky, Jason P.; Mincey, Sarah K.; Peper, Paula J.; Vogt, Jess. 2020. Urban tree monitoring: a field guide. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-194. Madison, WI: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 48 p. https://doi.org/10.2737/NRS-GTR-194.
Keywordsurban forest, street tree, tree mortality, tree growth, tree monitoring, yard tree
- Urban tree monitoring: a resource guide
- Data quality in citizen science urban tree inventories
- Effect of plot and sample size on timing and precision of urban forest assessments
XML: View XML