Skip to Main Content
Facile fractionation of bamboo wood toward biomass valorization by p -TsOH-Based methanolysis pretreatmentAuthor(s): Qiaolong Zhai; Feng Long; Chung-yun Hse; Fei Wang; Todd F. Shupe; Jianchun Jiang; Junming Xu
Source: ACS Sustainable Chemistry & Engineering
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Southern Research Station
Download Publication (2.0 MB)
DescriptionA mild methanolysis pretreatment strategy was developed with a recyclable acid, p-TsOH, as the catalyst for the fractionation of lignocellulosic biomass toward its main components. Bamboo ﬁber was fractionated in one step with dissolution of more than 88% lignin and 90% xylan with most of the cellulose (86.8%) retained in pretreated bamboo at mild conditions (110 °C, 30 min, and 10% p-TsOH). Enzymatic hydrolysis of the cellulose-rich fraction was enhanced to 89.2% at an enzyme loading of 15 FPU g−1 substrate, nearly 4-fold higher than the untreated bamboo. Most of the xylan (hemicellulose) and lignin in the biomass were extracted and dissolved into the spent liquor. The extracted lignin had higher purity (>94%) and a moderate and homogeneous molecular weight, which could be adapted to add value to lignin. pTsOH can be eﬀectively recovered by recrystallization technology after concentrating the spent liquor. Hemicellulose (xylan) was transformed into methyl xyloside and furfural during the pretreatment. Overall, the described process showed practical signiﬁcance for the eﬀective fractionation and comprehensive utilization of lignocellulosic biomass components.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationZhai, Qiaolong; Long, Feng; Hse, Chung-yun; Wang, Fei; Shupe, Todd F.; Jiang, Jianchun; Xu, Junming. 2019. Facile fractionation of bamboo wood toward biomass valorization by p -TsOH-Based methanolysis pretreatment . ACS Sustainable Chemistry & Engineering. 7(23): 19213-19224. https://doi.org/10.1021/acssuschemeng.9b05392.
Keywordsp-Toluenesulfonic acid, Deligniﬁcation, Methanolysis, Lignocellulose valorization, Enzymatic hydrolysis
- Ethanosolv Pretreatment of Bamboo with Dilute Acid for Efficient Enzymatic Saccharification
- Comparison of bamboo green, timber and yellow in sulfite, sulfuric acid and sodium hydroxide pretreatments for enzymatic saccharification
- Effect of fabricated density and bamboo species on physical-mechanical properties of bamboo fiber bundle reinforced composites
XML: View XML