Skip to Main Content
Annual inventory report for Pennsylvania's forests: results from the first three yearsAuthor(s): William H. McWilliams; Carol A. Alerich; Daniel A. Devlin; Andrew J. Lister; Tonya W. Lister; Stephen L. Sterner; James A. Westfall
Source: Resour. Bull. NE-159. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Research Station. 95 p.
Publication Series: Resource Bulletin (RB)
Station: Northeastern Research Station
Download Publication (521.32 KB)
DescriptionIn 2000, the USDA Forest Service's Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA program implemented a new system for inventory and monitoring Pennsylvania?s forests. The most salient feature of the new inventory process will be a nearly threefold improvement in timeliness. This report summarizes the results for the first 3 years of annual inventory measurements. The area of forest land in Pennsylvania has remained stable since a previous inventory in 1989. The State's forests continue to mature as larger trees and an increase in inventory volume were recorded. A separate study of tree seedlings revealed a general lack of regeneration in half of stands in which regeneration should be adequate.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMcWilliams, William H.; Alerich, Carol A.; Devlin, Daniel A.; Lister, Andrew J.; Lister, Tonya W.; Sterner, Stephen L.; Westfall, James A. 2004. Annual inventory report for Pennsylvania''s forests: results from the first three years. Resour. Bull. NE-159. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Research Station. 95 p.
Keywordsforest composition, forest health, sustainability, timber volume, tree regeneration
- Annual inventory report for Pennsylvania's forests: results from the first two years.
- Assessing Regeneration Adequacy In Pennsylvania's Forests: A Pilot Study
- Sampling forest regeneration across northern U.S. forests: filling a void in regeneration model input
XML: View XML