Skip to Main Content
Monthly leaf area index estimates from point-in-time measurements and needle phenology for Pinus taedaAuthor(s): D.A. Sampson; T.J. Albaugh; Kurt H. Johnsen; H.L. Allen; Stanley J. Zarnoch
Source: Can. J. For. Res. 33: 2477–2490
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (335 KB)
DescriptionAbstract: Leaf area index (LAI) of loblolly pine (Pinus taeda L.) trees of the southern United States varies almost twofold interannually; loblolly pine, essentially, carries two foliage cohorts at peak LAI (September) and one at minimum (March–April). Herein, we present an approach that may be site invariant to estimate monthly LAI for loblolly pine using point-in-time measurements from a LI-COR LAI-2000 plant canopy analyzer (PCA). Our analyses used needle accretion and abscission data from monthly needle counts and destructive harvest data from a replicated 2 × 2 factorial experiment of water and nutrition amendments. No significant treatment effects on relative needle accretion or abscission were observed. Cohort (interannual) differences in needle accretion were found but appeared trivial. Cohort year had variable effects on needle abscission. Abscission of current-year foliage began in July and continued through November of the third year; however, only 7%–9% remained 23 months following bud initiation. A treatment-invariable regression of PCA measurements on cohort foliage biomass (r2 ≈ 0.98) was used to estimate annual cohort LAI. We derived monthly estimates of LAI from cohort accretion and abscission and cohort LAI. Monthly estimates of LAI for loblolly pine, using point-in-time measurements from the PCA, appear possible, although further testing is required.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationSampson, D.A.; Albaugh, T.J.; Johnsen, Kurt H.; Allen, H.L.; Zarnoch, Stanley J. 2003. Monthly leaf area index estimates from point-in-time measurements and needle phenology for Pinus taeda. Can. J. For. Res. 33: 2477–2490
- A comparison of tools for remotely estimating leaf area index in loblolly pine plantations
- Leaf area index (LAI) of loblolly pine and emergent vegetation following a harvest
- Effects of stand development and weather on monthly leaf biomass dynamics of a loblolly pine (Pinus taeda L.) stand
XML: View XML