Skip to Main Content
A Comparison of Various Estimators for Updating Forest Area Coverage Using AVHRR and Forest Inventory DataAuthor(s): Francis A. Roesch; Paul C. van Deusen; Zhiliang Zhu
Source: Photogrammetric Engineering & Remote Sensing, Vol. 61, No. 3, March 1995, pp. 307-311.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (167 KB)
DescriptionVarious methods of adjusting low-cost and possibly biased estimates of percent forest coverage from AVHRR data with a subsample of higher-cost estimates from the USDA Forest Service's Forest Inventory and Analysis plots were investigated. Two ratio and two regression estimators were evaluated. Previous work (Zhu and Teuber, 1991) finding that the estimates from the two different data sources differed the most in highly fragmented land-use areas led to an investigation into improving the estimates through the use of independently derived estimates of population density. It is concluded that reasonable updates of percent forest area could be obtained through both the ratio and regression estimators and that use of population density as a surrogate for land-use fragmentation could help improve the estimators, although more direct methods of measuring land-use fragmentation might provide further improvement.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationRoesch, Francis A., Jr.; van Deusen, Paul C.; Zhu, Zhiliang. 1995. A Comparison of Various Estimators for Updating Forest Area Coverage Using AVHRR and Forest Inventory Data. Photogrammetric Engineering & Remote Sensing, Vol. 61, No. 3, March 1995, pp. 307-311.
- Quantifying forest fragmentation using Geographic Information Systems and Forest Inventory and Analysis plot data
- Characterizing forest fragments in boreal, temperate, and tropical ecosystems
- Regional forest cover estimation via remote sensing: the calibration center concept
XML: View XML