Skip to Main Content
Defining Hardwood Veneer Log Quality AttributesAuthor(s): Jan Wiedenbeck; Michael Wiemann; Delton Alderman; John Baumgras; William Luppold
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-313. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Research Station. 36 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Northeastern Research Station
View PDF (1.99 MB)
DescriptionThis publication provides a broad spectrum of information on the hardwood veneer industry in North America. Veneer manufacturers and their customers impose guidelines in specifying wood quality attributes that are very discriminating but poorly defined (e.g., exceptional color, texture, and/or figure characteristics). To better understand and begin to define the most important attributes that distinguish veneer logs from sawlogs, and high-end from low-end veneer logs, we visited and interviewed veneer log buyers and sellers, veneer manufacturers, and veneer sales personnel. The first section of this report provides information on the demographics of the hardwood veneer industry and domestic and export market influences on veneer manufacturing. This is followed by a discussion of: 1) veneer quality requirements for different product markets, 2) veneer log quality evaluation procedures, 3) veneer log procurement systems, 4) regional variations in veneer log quality characteristics, and 5) species-specific quality requirements and issues.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
CitationWiedenbeck, Jan; Wiemann, Michael; Alderman, Delton; Baumgras, John; Luppold, William. 2004. Defining Hardwood Veneer Log Quality Attributes. Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-313. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Research Station. 36 p.
Keywordsveneer, quality, hardwood, slicing, appearance-grade, flitch
- Examination of regional hardwood roundwood markets in West Virginia
- An assessment of the industrial markets for softwood clearwood lumber.
- An Examination of Regional Hardwood Roundwood Markets in West Virginia
XML: View XML