Skip to Main Content
Percent canopy cover and stand structure statistics from the Forest Vegetation SimulatorAuthor(s): Nicholas L. Crookston; Albert R. Stage
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. RMRS-GTR-24. Ogden, UT: U. S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 11 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
View PDF (243.0 KB)
DescriptionEstimates of percent canopy cover generated by the Forest Vegetation Simulator (FVS) are corrected for crown overlap using an equation presented in this paper. A comparison of the new cover estimate to some others is provided. The cover estimate is one of several describing stand structure. The structure descriptors also include major species, ranges of diameters, tree heights, and heights to crown base for as many as three significant height strata. From these data a structural class is assigned to the stand using concepts defined by O'Hara and others (1996) with some subsequent enhancements. An FVS keyword for applying and tuning the classification is documented along with information for FVS Event Monitor users. An illustration of the structural classification is presented.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
CitationCrookston, Nicholas L.; Stage, Albert R. 1999. Percent canopy cover and stand structure statistics from the Forest Vegetation Simulator. Gen. Tech. Rep. RMRS-GTR-24. Ogden, UT: U. S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 11 p.
KeywordsFVS, Prognosis Model, crown cover, stand structure classification
- Influence of Crown Biomass Estimators and Distribution on Canopy Fuel Characteristics in Ponderosa Pine Stands of the Black Hills
- Estimating canopy bulk density and canopy base height for conifer stands in the interior Western United States using the Forest Vegetation Simulator Fire and Fuels Extension.
- Estimating canopy cover from standard forest inventory measurements in western Oregon
XML: View XML