Starkey experimental forest and range.Author(s): Valerie Rapp
Source: [Brochure]. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station
Publication Series: Brochures
PDF: Download Publication (1.20 MB)
DescriptionThe Starkey Experimental Forest and Range. (Starkey) is a one-of-a-kind, world class research facility, located in the Blue Mountains of northeastern Oregon. Starkey is the primary field location for scientific study of the effects of deer, elk, and cattle on ecosystems. Most of the 28,000-acre forest and range is enclosed by a game-proof fence.
The research project on ungulates (hoofed mammals) is conducted jointly by the USDA Forest Service Pacific Northwest (PNW) Research Station and the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife. Other research at Starkey includes studies on forest management, wildlife, plants, and recreation. Starkey research explores facets of disturbance ecology and the management of disturbance regimes to restore and enhance ecosystem health.
Experimental areas represent important ecosystem types and provide opportunities for short- and long-term field studies and demonstrations. One of ten experimental areas associated with PNW Research Station, Starkey and all its activities are administered cooperatively by part of the Wallowa-Whitman National Forest.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationRapp, Valerie. 2004. Starkey experimental forest and range. [Brochure]. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station
KeywordsStarkey, Experimental Forest and Range
- Elk, deer, and cattle: the Starkey Project.
- Ponderosa promise: a history of U.S. Forest Service research in central Oregon.
- Restoration of dry, montane meadows through prescribed fire, vegetation and fuels management: a program of research and adaptive management in western Oregon
XML: View XML