Skip to Main Content
Forester Preferences on Revising Silvics of North America-a Survey of Registered Foresters in Four StatesAuthor(s): Krista Merry; Pete Bettinger; Jacek Siry; Steve McNulty; Michael Gavazzi
Source: Journal of Forestry: Brief Communication
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Southern Research Station
Download Publication (276.0 KB)
DescriptionSilvics of North America (SNA) is a widely used silvicultural manual. However, the last SNA was published in 1990. Therefore, 2,589 registered foresters were surveyed across four US states to answer two broad questions: (1) Should SNA be updated? And (2) would an updated SNA still be a useful tool for forest management? Most respondents indicated that the type and extent of content contained in the previous version of SNA was still desirable today. Aside from updating all sections with recent research findings, expansion was suggested for ecosystem services provided by species. An update to maps provided in SNA, through changes to natural ranges of tree species and other aesthetic improvement, was suggested by most survey respondents. These findings support the conclusion that the SNA would still be an essential source of information if 21st-century issues such as climate change impacts and adaptation measures were included in the update.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMerry, Krista; Bettinger, Pete; Siry, Jacek; McNulty, Steve; Gavazzi, Michael. 2021. Forester Preferences on Revising Silvics of North America-a Survey of Registered Foresters in Four States. Journal of Forestry. 14(3): 1-9. https://doi.org/10.1093/jofore/fvab042.
KeywordsSilvics of North America, registered foresters, survey
- Perceived constraints by non-traditional users on the Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest
- Stakeholder Perceptions on the Need for Updated Tree Species Distribution Maps
- Midcycle survey of Mississippi's forest resources
XML: View XML