Skip to Main Content
Confidence intervals for predicting lumber strength properties based on ratios of percentiles from two Weibull populations.Author(s): Richard A. Johnson; James W. Evans; David W. Green
Source: Res. Pap. FPL-606. Madison, WI : U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Forest Service, Forest Products Laboratory, 2003. 8 pages.
Publication Series: Research Paper (RP)
Station: Forest Products Laboratory
View PDF (750 KB)
DescriptionRatios of strength properties of lumber are commonly used to calculate property values for standards. Although originally proposed in terms of means, ratios are being applied without regard to position in the distribution. It is now known that lumber strength properties are generally not normally distributed. Therefore, nonparametric methods are often used to derive property values. In some situations, estimating properties based on a parametric estimate is required. For these situations, the three-parameter Weibull distribution looks promising. To use this approach, procedures for estimating confidence intervals for ratios of percentiles from two Weibull populations are needed. In this study, we employed the large sample properties of maximum likelihood estimators to obtain a confidence interval for the ratio of 100á-th percentiles from two different three-parameter Weibull distributions. The coverage probabilities were investigated by a computer simulation study. We concluded that the procedure has considerable promise, but many questions remain to be answered.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationJohnson, Richard A.; Evans, James W.; Green, David W. 2003. Confidence intervals for predicting lumber strength properties based on ratios of percentiles from two Weibull populations. Res. Pap. FPL-606. Madison, WI : U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Forest Service, Forest Products Laboratory, 2003. 8 pages.
KeywordsThree-parameter Weibull, confidence intervals, ratio of percentiles.
- Censoring Data for Resistance Factor Calculations in Load and Resistance Factor Design: A Preliminary Study
- A fit of a mixture of bivariate normals to lumber stiffness—strength data
- An Evaluation of a Proposed Revision of the ASTM D 1990 Grouping Procedure
XML: View XML