Skip to Main Content
Nontimber Forest Products in the Rural Household EconomyAuthor(s): Erin O. Sills; Sharachchandra Lele; Thomas P. Holmes; Subhrendu K. Pattanayak
Source: In: Sills, Erin O.; Abt, Karen Lee, eds. Forests in a market economy. 2003. Dordrecht, The Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers. p. 259-281.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
PDF: Download Publication (242 KB)
DescriptionAmong the multiple outputs of forests, the category labeled nontimber forest products, or NTFPs, has drawn increased policy and research attention during the past 20 years. NTFPs have become recognized for their importance in the livelihoods of the many relatively poor households who live in or near forests, especially in the tropics. Policy concern about NTFPs takes two forms. On the one hand, collection of relatively high-volume, low-value NTFPs, such as fuelwood, fodder, and mulch, has raised concerns about degradation of the forest resource, potentially resulting in hardships for households and negative environmental externalities. On the other hand, collection of relatively high-value, low-volume NTFPs, such as specialty food products, inputs to cosmetics and crafts, and medicinal plants, has drawn interest as an activity that could raise standards of living while being compatible with forest conservation. Addressing these policy concerns requires an improved "understanding of how households interact with natural resources and how one can affect household behavior in desired ways" (Ferraro and Kramer 1997: 207).
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationSills, Erin O.; Lele, Sharachchandra; Holmes, Thomas P.; Pattanayak, Subhrendu K. 2003. Nontimber Forest Products in the Rural Household Economy. In: Sills, Erin O.; Abt, Karen Lee, eds. Forests in a market economy. 2003. Dordrecht, The Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers. p. 259-281.
- Wild harvests from Scottish woodlands: an exploration of the health and well-being of non-timber forest products collection and use
- Non-timber forest products in Central Appalachia: market opportunities for rural development (poster abstract)
- Non-timber forest products: alternative multiple-uses for sustainable forest management
XML: View XML