Skip to Main Content
Impact of U.S. forest products consumption, imports, and exports on foreign timber harvests.Author(s): Irene Durbak; Ken Skog
Source: Proceedings of the 2000 Society of American Foresters national convention, Washington, DC, November 16-20, 2000. Bethesda, MD : Society of American Foresters, c2001: Pages 513-514.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: Download Publication (26 KB)
DescriptionThe U.S. has historically been a net importer of wood and paper products. During the 1990’s, the U.S. trade deficit widened, implying an increasing U.S. impact on timber harvests in foreign supply regions. An analysis was made of historical and projected trends in U.S. consumption and trade in terms of the roundwood volume required to make products consumed and traded. Results show that historically, the U.S. has increased its net imports and that the estimated harvest of roundwood overseas to make imports to the U.S. has increased faster than the estimated reductions in overseas harvest due to exports of U.S. products overseas. However, Draft projections from the USDA Forest Service RPA Timber Assessment indicate net imports may slowly decrease and level off after 2010 and remain level through 2050. Likewise, the net roundwood harvest overseas associated with our net imports may decrease and remain stable through 2050.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationDurbak, Irene; Skog, Ken. 2001. Impact of U.S. forest products consumption, imports, and exports on foreign timber harvests. Proceedings of the 2000 Society of American Foresters national convention, Washington, DC, November 16-20, 2000. Bethesda, MD : Society of American Foresters, c2001: Pages 513-514.
KeywordsInternational trade, trade impacts, roundwood equivalent volume, timber harvests.
- Projections of shifts in US Forest Products produced, imported, and exported and sources of roundwood and other fiber used to make them.
- Wood fiber supply and demand in the United States.
- Global context for the United States Forest Sector in 2030
XML: View XML