Skip to Main Content
Due to a lapse in federal funding, this USDA website will not be actively updated. Once funding has been reestablished, online operations will continue.
Hermit Thrush is the First Observed Dispersal Agent for Pondberry (Lindera melissifolia)Author(s): Carl G. Smith; Paul B. Hamel; Margaret S. Devall; Natan M. Schiff
Source: Castanea 69(1):1-8. March 2004.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (140 KB)
DescriptionWe investigated dispersal opportunities for the endangered pondberry, Lindera melissifolia (Lauraceae). In 199 hours of observation at 5 fruiting colonies in the Delta National Forest, Sharkey County, Mississippi, we recorded 82 bird species in the vicinity of a colony. Of these, 12 were observed on pondberry plants, and two consumed ripe pondberry fruits. Of these, the northern cardinal, Cardinalis cardinalis (Cardinalidae), was a seed predator. The other, hermit thrush, Catharus guttatus (Turdidae), was a dispersal agent for the plants. Numbers of fruits declined rapidly after hermit thrushes arrived in October and no fruits remained by January. Winter behavior of hermit thrushes constrains their dispersal of seeds to short distances. Without establishment of additional colonies, pondberry dispersal by birds to unoccupied patches of suitable forest is unlikely.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationSmith, Carl G., III; Hamel, Paul B.; Devall, Margaret S.; Schiff, Natan M. 2004. Hermit Thrush is the First Observed Dispersal Agent for Pondberry (Lindera melissifolia). Castanea 69(1):1-8. March 2004.
- Pondberry (Lindera melissifolia) seed predators
- The endangered pondberry (Lindera melissifolia [Walt] Blume, Lauraceae)
- Pondberry (Lindera melissifolia, Lauraceae) seed and seedling dispersers and predators
XML: View XML