Skip to Main Content
Landscape-Scale Research In The Ouachita Mountains Of West-Central Arkansas: General Study DesignAuthor(s): James M. Guldin
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS-74. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station. pp. 143-145
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (30 KB)
DescriptionAbstract A landscape-scale study on forest ecology and management began in 1995 in the eastern Ouachita Mountains. Of four large watersheds, three were within the Winona Ranger District of the Ouachita National Forest, and a major forest industry landowner largely owned and managed the fourth. These watersheds vary from 3,700 to 9,800 acres. At this scale, replicating treatments for statistical uniformity is impossible; this situation requires other approaches to statistical design. One approach is temporal replication, which uses multiple years of baseline measurement both prior to and after treatment as a source of experimental error and hypothesis testing. The second develops models that can be tested using data subsets, or the development of additional reference watersheds for testing models.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationGuldin, James M. 2004. Landscape-Scale Research In The Ouachita Mountains Of West-Central Arkansas: General Study Design. Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS-74. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station. pp. 143-145
- Ecosystem Management Research in the Ouachita Mountains: Pretreatment Conditions and Preliminary Findings
- Soil quality and productivity responses to watershed restoration in the Ouachita mountains of Arkansas, USA
- Overview Of Ecosystem Management Research In The Ouachita And Ozark Mountains: Phases I–III
XML: View XML