Skip to Main Content
Computerization of the Arkansas Fishes DatabaseAuthor(s): Henry W. Robison; L. Gayle Henderson; Melvin L. Warren; Janet S. Rader
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS-74. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station. pp. 257-264
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (4.2 MB)
DescriptionAbstract - Until recently, distributional data for the fishes of Arkansas existed in the form of museum records, field notebooks of various ichthyologists, and published fish survey data; none of which was in a digital format. In 1995, a relational database system was used to design a PC platform data entry module for the capture of information on the fishes of Arkansas. The graphical user interface (GUI) consists of four screens for data entry of information on locality, habitat, collection details, and fish species. Values for most of the fields in the data entry screens were standardized to reduce input error and ensure consistency. Look-up tables allow the user to quickly select standardized values (e.g., fish species and family, river and stream systems, county, habitat) for many fields. Comment fields were incorporated to allow the user to record important information on individual specimens that was not amenable to standardization. The database is fully compatible with geographic information systems and each collection in the database is geo-referenced. The computerization of this large database of fishes was initiated as part of a cooperative effort with the USDA Forest Service to digitally capture historic information on fishes of the Ouachita National Forest. The agreement was later expanded to include fish records from the Ozark and St. Francis National Forests. Recently, records of fishes from the entire state were added to the database with funding from the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission. Currently, over 3,500 fish collections have been entered into the Arkansas Fishes Database.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationRobison, Henry W.; Henderson, L. Gayle; Warren, Melvin L., Jr.; Rader, Janet S. 2004. Computerization of the Arkansas Fishes Database. Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS-74. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station. pp. 257-264
- User's guide to FBASE: Relational database software for managing R1/R4 (Northern/Intermountain Regions) fish habitat inventory data
- FIREMON Database
- FFI: What it is and what it can do for you
XML: View XML