Skip to Main Content
Southern Appalachian Timber StudyAuthor(s): Joseph E. de Steiguer; L.W. Hayden; D.L. Holley; W.G. Luppold; W.G. Martin; D.H. Newman; R.M. Sheffield
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. SE-56. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southeastern Forest Experiment Station. 45 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Southeastern Forest Experiment Station
View PDF (1.0 MB)
DescriptionThis study investigated recent hardwood stumpage market trends in Southern Appalachia and projected National Forest stumpageprices to the year 2000. Over the past 10 years, hardwood timber harvest volumes from private lands have increased 38 percent with much of this increase coming in the last 2 to 4 years. Private hardwood stumpage prices have decreased across much of Southern Appalachia except for western North Carolina where prices have increased. During the same period, National Forest hardwood timber harvest volumes have increased about 162 percent. National Forest stumpage prices have declined within the region over the past 10 years. A judgmental forecast predicts no increase in National Forest real hardwood stumpageprices until the year 2000.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
Citationde Steiguer, Joseph E.; Hayden, L.W.; Holley, D.L., Jr.; Luppold, W.G.; Martin, W.G.; Newman, D.H.; Sheffield, R.M. 1989. Southern Appalachian Timber Study. Gen. Tech. Rep. SE-56. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southeastern Forest Experiment Station. 45 p.
KeywordsHardwood, stumpage markets, stumpage prices, National Forests
- Stumpage prices, volume sold, and volumes harvested from the National Forests of the Pacific Northwest Region, 1984 to 1996.
- Impacts of changing hardwood lumber consumption and price on stumpage and sawlog prices in Ohio
- Criterion 6, indicator 40 : distribution of revenues derived from forest management
XML: View XML