Skip to Main Content
Effects of Artificial Defoliation on the Growth of Cottonwood: Simulation of Cottonwood Leaf Beetle DefoliationAuthor(s): Steven A. Tucker; T. Evan Nebeker; Michael D. Warriner; William D. Jones; T. Keith Beatty
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS–71. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station. pp. 169-171
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (96 KB)
DescriptionPopulus are among the fastest growing commercial forest trees but are not without problems. Insects and diseases can take their toll. The cottonwood leaf beetle (Chrysomela scripta F.; CLB) is of concern. Although damage by the CLB can result in terminal dieback, reduction in growth, and potential mortality, the impact on Populus growth and biomass accumulation is relatively scarce. This study was conducted near Cruger, MS, in a 2-year-old Populus plantation that had red oak seedlings interplanted. To assess the impact of CLB defoliation, varying levels of defoliation were applied during 2000. Defoliation at all levels had a significant effect on height growth. On average, undefoliated trees were significantly taller than defoliated trees. Trees defoliated at the rates of 50 percent and 75 percent exhibited the greatest decrease in growth. Height growth for trees defoliated at these levels was reduced by 30 and 31 percent, respectively. Trees defoliated at 25 percent were reduced in growth by 24 percent when compared to controls.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationTucker, Steven A.; Nebeker, T. Evan; Warriner, Michael D.; Jones, William D.; Beatty, T. Keith. 2004. Effects of Artificial Defoliation on the Growth of Cottonwood: Simulation of Cottonwood Leaf Beetle Defoliation. Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS–71. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station. pp. 169-171
- Effect of Alnus glutinosa on hybrid populus growth and soil nitrogen concentration in a mixed plantation
- Effects of Cottonwood Leaf Beetle (Coleoptera: Chrysomelidae) Larval Defoliation, Clone, and Season on Populus Foliar Phagostimulants
- The genome of black cottonwood, Populus trichocarpa (Torr. & Gray)
XML: View XML