Skip to Main Content
Conformation and Complexation of Tannins: NMR Spectra and Molecular Search Modeling of Flavan-3-olsAuthor(s): Richard W. Hemingway; Fred L. Tohiason; G. Wayne McGraw; Jan P. Steynberg
Source: Magnetic Resonance in Chemistry, Vol. 34, 424-433
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (313 B)
DescriptionStudies offlavan-3-01sin their biologically significant phenolic form show that both H-6 and C-6 resonances are downfield from H-8 and C-8. Therefore, assignments for the H atoms of the A-ring are inverse to those commonly reported. By contrast, in the methyl ether and methyl ether acetate derivatives, both H-8 and C-8 are downfield from H-6 and C-6 and assignments commonly reported for C-6 and C-8 are incorrect. The assignments commonly reported for the peracetate derivatives are correct. In contrast to results observed fordimericflavans,solvent effects on chemical shifts and coupling constants are small in monomeric flavan derivatives. The small heterocyclic ringJ,3 coupling constants of2,3-cis-flavanscan be defined by lineshape analysis of H-3. These results provide the first evidence for the conformations of the common2,3-cis-flavansin solution. With the exception of compounds carrying a bulky acetate at C-3, a GMMX global search protocol provides reasonable predictions of heterocyclic ring coupling constants.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHemingway, Richard W.; Tohiason, Fred L.; McGraw, G. Wayne; Steynberg, Jan P. 1996. Conformation and Complexation of Tannins: NMR Spectra and Molecular Search Modeling of Flavan-3-ols. Magnetic Resonance in Chemistry, Vol. 34, 424-433
KeywordsNMR, H NMR, C NMR, conformational analysis, flavonoids, condensed tannins
- Crystal structure, conformational analysis, and molecular dynamics of tetra-0-methyl-(+)-catechin
- Electrophilic aromatic substitution of catechins: Bromination and benzylation
- Flavan and procyanidin glycosides from the bark of blackjack oak
XML: View XML