Skip to Main Content
Northern Arkansas Spring Precipitation Reconstructed from Tree Rings, 1023-1992 A.D.Author(s): Malcolm K. Cleaveland
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS 42. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station. pp. 1-6
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: Download Publication (254 KB)
DescriptionThree baldcypress (Taxodium distichum (L.) Rich.) tree-ring chronologies in northeastern Arkansas and southeastern Missouri respond strongly to April-June (spring) rainfall in northern Arkansas. I used regression to reconstruct an average of spring rainfall in the three climatic divisions of northern Arkansas since 1023 A.D. The reconstruction was validated by comparing it to independent observed data. The reconstruction shows highly variable hydroclimatic conditions in the past, with considerable long-term low frequency variation. Managers who wish to know the "natural" state of ecosystems must consider ecosystem response to climate and the long-term changes in climatic averages and variability that have shaped the adaptability of the ecosystems. This adaptability may translate into resilience in the face of anthropogenic climate change.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationCleaveland, Malcolm K. 2001. Northern Arkansas Spring Precipitation Reconstructed from Tree Rings, 1023-1992 A.D. Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS 42. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station. pp. 1-6
- Pervasive hydrologic effects on freshwater mussels and riparian trees in southeastern floodplain ecosystems
- Radial Growth of Nine Selected 18-Year-Old Baldcypress Provenances Under Prolonged Drought
- Silvicultural and genetic influences on planted cypress productivity
XML: View XML