Skip to Main Content
Presettlement Forests of the Black Swamp Area, Cache River,Woodruff County, Arkansas, from Notes of the First Land SurveyAuthor(s): Thomas L. Foti
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS 42. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station. pp. 7-15
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
PDF: Download Publication (127 KB)
DescriptionRelationships between forest vegetation and soil were reconstructed from field notes of the 1846 Public Land Survey (PLS) along a portion of the Cache River including Black Swamp. Locations of corners were digitized long with species,diameter,and distance from section or quarter-section corners. Trees were grouped for analysis according to occurrence on groups of ecologically meaningful soil units (similar texture,flood frequency and saturation) using a digitized county soil map. Trees occurring at corners were treated as point-quarter samples to calculate density and dominance; these and relative abundance were used to calculate importance value (IV). Five bottomland and two upland types were defined, based on ecological distinctions in site characteristics. Based on ordination by Detrended Correspondence Analysis, these were shown to occupy a moisture gradient from frequently flooded bottomlands, through less flooded and better-drained bottomlands to well-drained uplands and dry uplands. These types are analyzed to allow restoration biologists maximum flexibility in using them in setting or analyzing restoration goals. One bottomland type occurred on sites where hydrologic regime has been altered by flood control levees to the extent that restoration to the presettlement forest is no longer possible. One of the upland types has not been previously documented and may have been primary habitat for a now-rare plant species, Cyperus grayoides Mohlenbrock.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationFoti, Thomas L. 2001. Presettlement Forests of the Black Swamp Area, Cache River,Woodruff County, Arkansas, from Notes of the First Land Survey. Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS 42. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station. pp. 7-15
- Planting bottomland hardwoods
- Mycorrhizal relationships in bottomland hardwood forests of the southern United States
- Proceedings of the tenth biennial southern silvicultural research conference
XML: View XML