Skip to Main Content
Tolerance of Loblolly Pines to Fusiform RustAuthor(s): Charles H. Walkinshaw; James P. Barnett
Source: Southern Journal of Applied Forestry, Vol. 19, No. 2, May 1995
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (438 KB)
DescriptionLoblolly pines (Pinus taeda L.) that were 8 to 17 yr old tolerated one to three fusiform rust (Cronartium quercuum [Berk.] Miyabe ex Shirai f. sp. fusiforme) galls in their stems.Families with four or more galls in their stems lost 2.5% or more of the trees by age 17.In living trees with less than four stem galls, diameter growth was comparable to that of trees with no galls. Tolerance was indicated by the ability of loblolly pines to maintain the rust fungus in stems that had dbh's similar to asymptomatic trees on the same site.In plantations, the number of galls in the stem was generally one to two per infected tree.This was also true for mature trees (12 to 38 in. dbh) along the Natchez Trace Parkway.These trees have been infected with fusiform rust for nearly 100 yr.On the other hand, the presence of four or more stems galls seems to be a reliable indicator of mortality rather than tolerance.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWalkinshaw, Charles H.; Barnett, James P. 1995. Tolerance of Loblolly Pines to Fusiform Rust. Southern Journal of Applied Forestry, Vol. 19, No. 2, May 1995
- Effects of Alternative Thinning Regimes and Prescribed Burning in Natural, Even-Aged Loblolly-Shortleaf Pine Stands: 25 Year Results
- Summer roosting by adult male seminole bats in the Ouachita Mountains, Arkansas
- Identification of nine pathotype-specific genes conferring resistance to fusiform rust in loblolly pine (Pinus taeda L.)
XML: View XML