Skip to Main Content
Adoption of Agroforestry Innovations in the Tropics: A ReviewAuthor(s): D. Evan Mercer
Source: Agroforestry Systems 204411: 311-328
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: Download Publication (291 KB)
DescriptionThe period since the early 1990s has witnessed an explosion of research on the adoption of agroforestry innovations in the tropics. Much of this work was motivated by a perceived gap between advances in agroforestry science and the success of agroforestry-based development programs and projects. Achieving the full promise of agroforestry requires a fundamental understanding of how and why farmers make long-term land-use decisions and applying this knowledge to the design, development, and ‘marketing’ of agroforestry innovations. This paper reviews the theoretical and empirical literature that has developed during the past decade analyzing agroforestry adoption from a variety of perspectives and identifies needed future research. Much progress has been made, especially in using binary choice regression models to assess influences of farm and household characteristics on adoption and in developing ex-ante participatory, on-farm research methods for analyzing the potential adoptability of agroforestry innovations. Additional research-needs that have been identified include developing a better understanding of the role of risk and uncertainty, insights into how and why farmers adapt and modify adopted systems, factors influencing the intensity of adoption, village-level and spatial analyses of adoption, the impacts of disease such as AIDS and malaria on adoption, and the temporal path of adoption.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMercer, D. Evan. 2004. Adoption of Agroforestry Innovations in the Tropics: A Review. Agroforestry Systems 204411: 311-328
KeywordsDecision-making, Diffusion, Risk, Tenure, Uncertainty
- Analyzing ex-ante agroforestry adoption decisions with attribute based choice experiments
- Knowledge systems in agroforestry
- Agroforestry adoption in the Calakmul biosphere reserve, Campeche, Mexico
XML: View XML