Skip to Main Content
Estimation and applications of size-biased distributions in forestryAuthor(s): Jeffrey H. Gove
Source: In: Amaro, A; Reed, D.; Soares, P., eds. Modelling forest systems. Cambridge, MA: CABI: 201-212
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
Station: Northeastern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (841.11 KB)
DescriptionSize-biased distributions arise naturally in several contexts in forestry and ecology. Simple power relationships (e.g. basal area and diameter at breast height) between variables are one such area of interest arising from a modelling perspective. Another, probability proportional to size PPS) sampling, is found in the most widely used methods for sampling standing or dead and fallen material in the forest. Often it is desirable or necessary to estimate a parametric probability density model based on size-biased data. Traditional equal probability methods may not be appropriate, or may be less efficient in such circumstances, and estimation is better conducted utilizing size-biased theory. This chapter surveys some of the possible uses of size-biased distribution theory in forestry and related fields.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationGove, Jeffrey H. 2003. Estimation and applications of size-biased distributions in forestry. In: Amaro, A; Reed, D.; Soares, P., eds. Modelling forest systems. Cambridge, MA: CABI: 201-212
- Moment and maximum likelihood estimators for Weibull distributions under length- and area-biased sampling
- Size-biased distributions in the generalized beta distribution family, with applications to forestry
- Estimation and applications of size-based distributions in forestry
XML: View XML