Skip to Main Content
Moment and maximum likelihood estimators for Weibull distributions under length- and area-biased samplingAuthor(s): Jeffrey H. Gove
Source: Environmental and Ecological Statistics. 10: 455-467.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northeastern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (780.72 KB)
DescriptionMany of the most popular sampling schemes used in forestry are probability proportional to size methods. These methods are also referred to as size biased because sampling is actually from a weighted form of the underlying population distribution. Length- and area-biased sampling are special cases of size-biased sampling where the probability weighting comes from a lineal or areal function of the random variable of interest, respectively. Often, interest is in estimating a parametric probability density of the data. In forestry, the Weibull function has been used extensively for such purposes. Estimating equations for method of moments and maximum likelihood for two- and three-parameter Weibull distributions are presented. Fitting is illustrated with an example from an area-biased angle-gauge sample of standing trees in a woodlot. Finally, some specific points concerning the form of the size-biased densities are reported.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationGove, Jeffrey H. 2003. Moment and maximum likelihood estimators for Weibull distributions under length- and area-biased sampling. Environmental and Ecological Statistics. 10: 455-467.
Keywordshorizontal point sampling, point relascope sampling, probability proportional to size, size-biased distributions, weighted distributions
- Estimation and applications of size-biased distributions in forestry
- Size-biased distributions in the generalized beta distribution family, with applications to forestry
- A note on a simplified and general approach to simulating from multivariate copula functions
XML: View XML