Skip to Main Content
CT Imaging of Hardwood Logs for Lumber ProductionAuthor(s): Daniel L. Schmoldt; Pei Li; A. Lynn Abbott
Source: Proceedings, 5th Industrial Engineering Research Conference. 387-392
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: Download Publication (231 KB)
DescriptionHardwood sawmill operators need to improve the conversion of raw material (logs) into lumber. Internal log scanning provides detailed information that can aid log processors in improving lumber recovery. However, scanner data (i.e. tomographic images) need to be analyzed prior to presentation to saw operators. Automatic labeling of computer tomography (CT) images is feasible, but no research has established labeling accuracy or demonstrated real time operation. An automated labeling scheme is presented in this paper that is both very accurate and very fast. The procedure segments and classifies each pixel in a CT image as either knot, split, bark, decay, or clear wood by using small 3D pixel neighborhood as input to an artificial neural network classifier. Initial results with two species of oak and with yellow poplar indicate that species-dependent classifiers of this type can be applied to other types of images encountered in industrial inspection applications, e.g., gray-scale and color images.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationSchmoldt, Daniel L.; Li, Pei; Abbott, A. Lynn. 1996. CT Imaging of Hardwood Logs for Lumber Production. Proceedings, 5th Industrial Engineering Research Conference. 387-392
- A Comparison of Several Artificial Neural Network Classifiers for CT Images of Hardwood Logs
- Classifying features in CT imagery: accuracy for some single- and multiple-species classifiers
- Automated labeling of log features in CT imagery of multiple hardwood species
XML: View XML