Skip to Main Content
Seasonal patterns of reserve and soluble carbohydrates in mature sugar maple (Acer saccharum)Author(s): B.L. Wong; K.L. Baggett; A.H. Rye
Source: Canadian Journal of Botany. 81: 780-788
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
Station: Northeastern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (1.06 MB)
DescriptionSugar maple (Acer saccharum Marsh.) trees exhibit seasonal patterns of production, accumulation, and utilization of nonstructural carbohydrates that are closely correlated with phenological events and (or) physiological processes. The simultaneous seasonal patterns of both reserve and soluble carbohydrates in the leaves, twigs, branches, and trunks of healthy mature sugar maple trees were characterized. The concentrations of starch and soluble sugars (sucrose, glucose, fructose, xylose, raffinose, and stachyose) were determined. Starch, the major reserve carbohydrate in sugar maple, is low during the active photosynthetic growth season. Starch is accumulated in the xylem ray tissues in late summer and early fall. During the cold season, there is a close relationship between starch hydrolysis-accumulation and temperature. Soluble sugars increase when starch concentrations decrease during the cold months, and these sugars may play a role in cold tolerance. Patterns of change in the stem tissues are similar to those in the root tissues but with slight differences in the timing.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWong, B.L.; Baggett, K.L.; Rye, A.H. 2003. Seasonal patterns of reserve and soluble carbohydrates in mature sugar maple (Acer saccharum). Canadian Journal of Botany. 81: 780-788
Keywordsstarch, sucrose, glucose, fructose, raffinose, stachyose
- Measuring changes in stress and vitality indicators in limed sugar maple on the Allegheny Plateau in north-central Pennsylvania
- Effects of defoliation and drought on root food reserves in sugar maple seedlings
- Widespread sugar maple decline and regeneration failure in the Adirondacks
XML: View XML