Skip to Main Content
Ultraviolet leaf reflectance of common urban trees and the prediction of reflectance from leaf surface characteristicsAuthor(s): Richard H. Grant; Gordon M. Heisler; Wei Gao; Matthew Jenks
Source: Agricultural and Forest Meteorology. 120: 127-139
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
Station: Northeastern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (3.04 MB)
DescriptionThe spectral reflectance and transmittance over the wavelength range of 250-700nm were evaluated for leaves of 20 deciduous tree species and leaf sheaths of five isogenic wax variants of Sorghum bicolor differing in visible reflectance due to cuticular waxes. Using the sorghum sheath reflectance and cuticle surface characteristics as a model, it was concluded that tree leaf reflectance above 0.06 was likely due to the presence of variously-shaped fine epicuticular wax structures on the leaf surface. Increasing the density of sub-micron wax structures corresponded to an enhanced ultraviolet (UV) reflectance over the PAR reflectance of a given leaf surface-either S. bicolor sheath or tree leaf. Amorphous globular epicuticular wax structures did not appear to scatter UV as well as wax filaments or vertical plates in varying patterns even when the dimensions of the structures were similar. Further work is needed to clarify this relationship and the influence of cellular pigments on subsurface contributions to the reflectance.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationGrant, Richard H.; Heisler, Gordon M.; Gao, Wei; Jenks, Matthew. 2003. Ultraviolet leaf reflectance of common urban trees and the prediction of reflectance from leaf surface characteristics. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology. 120: 127-139
KeywordsUV, sorghum, reflectivity, deciduous forest, radiation
- Stunt nematode (Tylenchorhynchus claytoni) impact on southern pine seedlings and response to a field test of cover crops
- Cram, Michelle M.; Fraedrich, Stephen W. 2009. Stunt nematode (Tylenchorhynchus claytoni) impact on southern pine seedlings and response to a field test of cover crops.
- Detection and management of stunt and stubby root nematodes in a southern forest nursery
XML: View XML