Skip to Main Content
Secretion Trap Tagging of Secreted and Membrane-Spanning Proteins Using Arabidopsis Gene TrapsAuthor(s): Andrew T. Groover; Joseph R. Fontana; Juana M. Arroyo; Cristina Yordan; W. Richard McCombie; Robert A. Martienssen
Source: Plant Physiol. Vol. 131, pp. 1–11.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: Download Publication (320 KB)
DescriptionSecreted and membrane-spanning proteins play fundamental roles in plant development but pose challenges for genetic identification and characterization. We describe a "secretion trap" screen for gene trap insertions in genes encoding proteins routed through the secretory pathway. The gene trap transposon encodes a ß-glucuronidase reporter enzyme that is inhibited by N-linked glycosylation specific to the secretory pathway. Treatment of seedlings with tunicamycin inhibits glycosylation, resulting in increased activity of secreted ß-glucuronidase fusions that result from gene trap integration downstream of exons encoding signal peptides. In the 2,059 gene trap lines that we screened, 32 secretion trap expression patterns were identified in a wide variety of tissues including embryos, meristems, and the developing vasculature. Genes disrupted by the secretion traps encode putative extracellular signaling proteins, membrane transport proteins, and novel secreted proteins of unknown function missed by conventional mutagenesis and gene prediction. Secretion traps provide a unique reagent for gene expression studies and can guide the genetic combination of loss of function alleles in related genes.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationGroover, Andrew T.; Fontana, Joseph R.; Arroyo, Juana M.; Yordan, Cristina; McCombie, W. Richard; Martienssen, Robert A. 2003. Secretion Trap Tagging of Secreted and Membrane-Spanning Proteins Using Arabidopsis Gene Traps. Plant Physiol. Vol. 131, pp. 1–11.
- The pine Pschi4 promoter directs wound-induced transcription
- Transcriptome and secretome analyses of Phanerochaete chrysosporium reveal complex patterns of gene expression
- Gene and enhancer trap tagging of vascular-expressed genes in poplar trees
XML: View XML