Skip to Main Content
Long-term performance monitoring of hardwood timber bridges in PennsylvaniaAuthor(s): James P. Wacker; Carlito Calil; Lola E. Hislop; Paula D. Hilbrich Lee; James A. Kainz
Source: Res. Pap. FPL-RP-612. Madison, WI: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Forest Products Laboratory, 2004. 56 pages
Publication Series: Research Paper (RP)
Station: Forest Products Laboratory
View PDF (4.2 MB)
DescriptionSeveral hardwood timber bridges were constructed in Pennsylvania during the early 1990s. This report summarizes the long-term field performance of seven stress-laminated deck bridges over a 4-year period beginning August 1997 and ending July 2001. Data collected include lumber moisture content, static load test deflection measurements, and bridge condition assessments. In addition, stressing bar force, temperature, and relative humidity conditions were monitored several times per day by a remote data acquisition system installed at each bridge site. Superstructure lamination moisture content ranged between 20% and 40% after nearly 10 years of service. The field performance of four bridges was unsatisfactory. Loss in prestressing bar force necessitated bar retensioning at the Millcross Road bridge (Lancaster County), and live load deflection limits were exceeded at the Brookson Road (Crawford County), Laurel Run (Huntingdon County), and Jacobs (Huntingdon County) sites. Several serviceability and/or maintenance deficiencies need immediate attention to achieve satisfactory field performance.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWacker, James P.; Calil, Carlito, Jr.; Hislop, Lola E.; Hilbrich Lee, Paula D.; Kainz, James A. 2004. Long-term performance monitoring of hardwood timber bridges in Pennsylvania. Res. Pap. FPL-RP-612. Madison, WI: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Forest Products Laboratory, 2004. 56 pages
KeywordsStress-laminated deck, timber, wood, highway bridge, red oak, beech, hardwood
- Field performance of timber bridges. 7, Connell Lake stress-laminated deck bridge
- Field performance of timber bridges. 16, North Siwell Road stress-laminated bridge
- Field performance of timber bridges. 9, Big Erick`s stress-laminated deck bridge
XML: View XML