Workshop on sediment budgets and routing in forested drainage basins: proceedings.Author(s): Frederick J. Swanson; Richard J. Janda; Thomas Dunne; Douglas N. Swanston
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-141. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 165 p
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
View PDF (10.0 MB)
DescriptionSediment budgets quantify the transport and storage of soil and sediment in drainage basins or smaller landscape units. Studies of sediment routing deal with the overall movement of soil and sediment through a series of landscape units. The 14 papers and 5 summaries from discussion groups in this volume report results of sediment budget and routing studies conducted principally in forested drainage basins. Papers also deal with sediment routing studies using computer models, physical models, and field observations in nonforest environments.
This work emphasizes methods for judging the relative importance of sediment sources within a basin, the many roles of biological factors in sediment transport and storage, and the importance of recognizing changes of sediment storage within basins when interpreting sediment yield. Sediment budget and routing studies are important tools for both research scientists and land managers.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationSwanson, Frederick J.; Janda, Richard J.; Dunne, Thomas; Swanston, Douglas N., tech. eds. 1982. Workshop on sediment budgets and routing in forested drainage basins: proceedings. Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-141. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Forest and Range Experiment Station. 165 p
KeywordsSedimentation, watershed management, sediment budget, drainage basins, geomorphology.
- Mass failures and other processes of sediment production in Pacific northwest forest landscapes
- Construction of sediment budgets for drainage basins
- The Use of Flow Charts in Sediment Routing Analysis
XML: View XML