Skip to Main Content
Bridging the gap between research and application -- business plan spreadsheets are helping wood recovery effortsAuthor(s): Philip A. Araman; E. Hager; A.L. Hammett
Source: Proceedings, 3rd IUFRO Extension Working Party Symposium -- Extension Forestry: Bridging the Gap Between Research and Application
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (444.51 KB)
DescriptionWood pallets break or end up in the wrong places where they are no longer useful. They become a waste problem that needs to be dealt with. Many find their way to recovery and repair facilities, but many don’t and most likely end up in landfills. Our charge is to reduce landfilling of unwanted and discarded wood pallets and to push them into highest value uses. To help answer some of the economic questions and provide information for business plans, the Center for Forest Products Marketing and Management and the USDA Forest Service Southern Research Station unit, both at Virginia Tech, have developed a computer spreadsheet model. The model focuses on pallet recovery and reuse options for the pallets prior to landfilling or in landfill recovery areas. We report on pallet recovery options and resent a sample spreadsheet business plan to determine the economic potential for recovering pallet material at landfills. Lastly, we describe some current uses of the spreadsheet models helping us bridge the gap between research and application.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
CitationAraman, Philip A.; Hager, E.; Hammett, A.L. 1998. Bridging the gap between research and application -- business plan spreadsheets are helping wood recovery efforts. Proceedings, 3rd IUFRO Extension Working Party Symposium -- Extension Forestry: Bridging the Gap Between Research and Application
- Landfills potential source for cores -- computer model analyzes landfills for on-site recycling operations
- Wood Pallets and Landfills - Status and Opportunities for Economic Recovery and Recycling
- Where Are Used Pallets Going? New Study to Connect Landfills and Pallet Recycling
XML: View XML