Skip to Main Content
An Intelligent Information System for forest management: NED/FVS integrationAuthor(s): J. Wang; W.D. Potter; D. Nute; F. Maier; H. Michael Rauscher; M.J. Twery; S. Thomasma; P. Knopp
Source: In: Crookston, Nicholas L.; Havis, Robert N., comps. 2002. Second Forest Vegetation Simulator Conference; February 12-14, 2002; Fort Collins, CO. Proc. RMRS-P-25. Ogden, UT: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. p. 189-195
Publication Series: Proceedings (P)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
PDF: View PDF (492 KB)
DescriptionAn Intelligent Information System (IIS) is viewed as composed of a unified knowledge base, database, and model base. This allows an IIS to provide responses to user queries regardless of whether the query process involves a data retrieval, an inference, a computational method, a problem solving module, or some combination of these. NED-2 is a full-featured intelligent information system for the sustainable management of forestlands. It is designed to help managers plan for wildlife, ecology, water, and landscape objectives as well as timber production. FVS is one of the integrated decision support model components in NED-2. We provide the FVS simulation agent and "wrapper" that permit communication between FVS and NED-2. We are developing a meta-knowledge base. Simulation agents can use it to set up and execute external simulation models. This paper will briefly describe the NED decision process, the NED-2 architecture, and discuss the design issues explaining the integration of NED-2 and FVS.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWang, J.; Potter, W.D.; Nute, D.; Maier, F.; Rauscher, H. Michael; Twery, M.J.; Thomasma, S.; Knopp, P. 2002. An Intelligent Information System for forest management: NED/FVS integration. In: Crookston, Nicholas L.; Havis, Robert N., comps. 2002. Second Forest Vegetation Simulator Conference; February 12-14, 2002; Fort Collins, CO. Proc. RMRS-P-25. Ogden, UT: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. p. 189-195
KeywordsIntelligent Information System, IIS, knowledge base, database, model base
- The Ned IIS project - forest ecosystem management
- Intelligent Model Management in a Forest Ecosystem Management Decision Support System
- NED-IIS: An Intelligent Information System for Forest Ecosystem Management
XML: View XML