Skip to Main Content
History of Forest Service Research in the Central and Southern Rocky Mountain Regions, 1908-1975Author(s): Raymond Price
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. RM-27. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Forest and Range Experiment Station. 100 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Rocky Mountain Forest and Range Experiment Station
PDF: View PDF (9 MB)
DescriptionThe first forest research area established by the Forest Service was in 1908the Fort Valley Experimental Forest near Flagstaff, Arizona. In 1909, the Fremont Experiment Station near Colorado Springs was begun, as well as the Wagon Wheel Gap watershed experiment in the central Rockies. The Santa Rita Range Reserve, begun in 1903, was transferred to the Forest Service in 1915. Two forest and range experiment stations were officially designated Southwestern Station, in 1930, at Tucson, Arizona, and Rocky Mountain Station, in 1935, at Fort Collins, Colorado. The two Stations were combined in 1953, with central headquarters at Fort Collins, to serve a 10-State territory.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationPrice, Raymond 1976. History of Forest Service Research in the Central and Southern Rocky Mountain Regions, 1908-1975. Gen. Tech. Rep. RM-27. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Forest and Range Experiment Station. 100 p.
KeywordsUSDA Forest Service, forestry research, history
- EFRs in the Rocky Mountain Research Station: Understanding patterns of forest growth, weather and disturbance [Chapter 2.8]
- Fort Valley Experimental Forest-A Century of Research 1908-2008 (P-53)
- Fort Valley Experimental Forest-A Century of Research 1908-2008
XML: View XML