Skip to Main Content
Rhizochaete, a new genus of phanerochaetoid fungiAuthor(s): Alina Greslebin; Karen K. Nakasone; Mario Rajchenberg
Source: Mycologia. Vol. 96, no. 2 (2004): Pages 260-271.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Forest Products Laboratory
PDF: Download Publication (680.25 KB)
DescriptionA new basidiomycete genus, Rhizochaete (Phanerochaetaceae, polyporales) is described. Rhizochaete is characterized by a smooth to tuberculate, pellicular hymenophre and hyphal cords that turn red or violet in potassium hydroxide, monomitic hyphal system of simple or nodose septate hyphae, cystidia, and small, cylindrical to subglobose basidiospores. It morphologically is most similar to Phanerochaete. Analyses of nuclear ribosomal and internaltranscribed spacer region sequence data support a close relationship between Rhizochaete and Phanerochaete. The new taxon R. brunnea, from southern Argentina, is described and illustrated. In addition, the new combinations R. americana, R borneensis, R. filamentosa, R. fouquieriae and R. radicata are proposed. A key to the species of Rhizochaete is provided.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationGreslebin, Alina; Nakasone, Karen K.; Rajchenberg, Mario. 2004. Rhizochaete, a new genus of phanerochaetoid fungi. Mycologia. Vol. 96, no. 2 (2004): Pages 260-271.
KeywordsBasidiomycetes, Ceraceomyces americanus, Ceraceomyces fouquieriae, internal transcribed spacer region, Phanerochaetaceae, Phanerochaete borneensis, Phanerochaete filamentosa, Phanerochaete radicata, Polyporales, Rhizochaete brunnea, ribsomal DNA, taxonomy
- A meadow site classification for the Sierra Nevada, California
- A new species of Daedalea (Basidiomycota) and a synopsis of core species in Daedalea sensu stricto
- Feeding habits of songbirds in East Texas clearcuts during winter
XML: View XML