Skip to Main Content
Genome sequence of the lignocellulose degrading fungus Phanerochaete chrysosporium strain RP78Author(s): Diego Martinez; Luis Larrondo; Nik Putnam; Maarten D. Sollewijn; Maarten D. Sollewijn Gelpke; Katherine Huang; Jarrod Chapman; Kevin G. Helfenbein; Preethi Ramaiya; J. Chris Detter; Frank Larimer; Pedro M. Coutinho; Bernard Henrissat; Randy Berka; Dan Cullen; Daniel Rokhsar
Source: Nature biotechnology. Vol. 22, no. 6 (June 2004): Pages 695-700
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (684 KB)
DescriptionWhite rot fungi efficiently degrade lignin, a complex aromatic polymer in wood that is among the most abundant natural materials on earth. These fungi use extracellular oxidative enzymes that are also able to transform related aromatic compounds found in explosive contaminants, pesticides and toxic waste. We have sequenced the 30-million base-pair genome of Phanerochaete chrysosporium strain RP78 using a whole genome shotgun approach. The P. chrysosporium genome reveals an impressive array of genes encoding secreted oxidases, peroxidases and hydrolytic enzymes that cooperate in wood decay. Analysis of the genome data will enhance our understanding of lignocellulose degradation, a pivotal process in the global carbon cycle, and provide a framework for further development of bioprocesses for biomass utilization, organopollutant degradation and fiber bleaching. This genome provides a high quality draft sequence of a basidiomycete, a major fungal phylum that includes important plant and animal pathogens.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMartinez, Diego; Larrondo, Luis; Putnam, Nik; Sollewijn, Maarten D.; Sollewijn Gelpke, Maarten D.; Huang, Katherine; Chapman, Jarrod; Helfenbein, Kevin G.; Ramaiya, Preethi; Detter, J. Chris; Larimer, Frank; Coutinho, Pedro M.; Henrissat, Bernard; Berka, Randy; Cullen, Dan; Rokhsar, Daniel. 2004. Genome sequence of the lignocellulose degrading fungus Phanerochaete chrysosporium strain RP78. Nature biotechnology. Vol. 22, no. 6 (June 2004): Pages 695-700
KeywordsWood-destroying fungi, wood-decaying fungi, genome sequences, Phanerochaete chrysosporium
- Gene expression patterns of wood decay fungi Postia placenta and Phanerochaete chrysosporium are influenced by wood substrate composition during degradation
- Genomewide analysis of polysaccharides degrading enzymes in 11 white- and brown-rot Polyporales provides insight into mechanisms of wood decay
- Messenger RNA transcripts
XML: View XML