Skip to Main Content
Polyoxometalate oxidation of non-phenolic lignin subunits in water : effect of substrate structure on reaction kineticsAuthor(s): Tomoya Yokoyama; Hou-min Chang; Richard S. Reiner; Raja H. Atalla; Ira A. Weinstock; John F. Kadla
Source: Holzforschung. Vol. 58 (2004): Pages 116-121
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: Download Publication (81 KB)
DescriptionThe effect of lignin-biopolymer structure on the mechanism of its oxidative depolymerization by polyoxometalates (POMs) was investigated by reacting an equilibrated POM ensemble with a series of ring-substituted benzyl alcohols. Under anaerobic conditions in mixed water/methanol, observed pseudo-first order reaction rates (150°C) of 8.96 x 10–3 and 4.89 x 10–3 sec–1 were obtained for oxidations of 1-(3,4-dimethoxyphenyl) ethanol (1) and 1-(3,4,5-trimethoxyphenyl)ethanol (2), respectively. Organic products from the oxidation of 2 (95% recovery) indicate the reaction proceeds via successive oxidations of the benzylic carbon atom; aromatic-ring cleavage was not observed. A primary kinetic-isotope effect of 1.6 and 1.7 was observed for the reactions of 1 and 2 deuterated at the benzylic-carbon atoms. This combined with the relatively large activation energies, indicate that C-H bond breaking (either H-atom or proton-coupled electron transfer) occurs late along the reaction coordinate of the rate- determining step. Replacing the 4-CH3O- group in 2 by CH3CH2O- to give 1- 4-ethoxy-3,5-dimethoxyphenyl)ethanol (3), had a substantial effect on the temperature dependence of the observed reaction rate, suggestive of a possible change in mechanism.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationYokoyama, Tomoya; Chang, Hou-min; Reiner, Richard S.; Atalla, Raja H.; Weinstock, Ira A.; Kadla, John F. 2004. Polyoxometalate oxidation of non-phenolic lignin subunits in water : effect of substrate structure on reaction kinetics. Holzforschung. Vol. 58 (2004): Pages 116-121
KeywordsEtherified benzyl alcohols, kinetic isotope effect, oxidation, kinetics, polyoxometalate (POM)
- Kinetic analysis of polyoxometalate (POM) oxidation of non-phenolic lignin model compound
- Insights into degradation pathways of oxidized anhydroglucose units in cellulose by β-alkoxy-elimination: a combined theoretical and experimental approach
- Response of western pine beetle, Dendroctonus brevicomis LeConte (Coleoptera: Curculionidae), to different release rates of nonhost angiosperm volatiles and verbenone
XML: View XML