Skip to Main Content
Due to a lapse in federal funding, this USDA website will not be actively updated. Once funding has been reestablished, online operations will continue.
Comparison of Drainmod Based Watershed Scale ModelsAuthor(s): Glenn P. Fernandez; George M. Chescheir; R. Wayne Skaggs; Devendra M. Amatya
Source: Pp. 281-290 in Drainage VIII Proceedings of the Eighth International Symposium, 21-24 March 2004 (Sacramento, California USA), Publication Date 21 March 2004. ASAE Publication Number 701P0304, ed. R. Cooke.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (286 KB)
DescriptionWatershed scale hydrology and water quality models (DRAINMOD-DUFLOW, DRAINMOD-W, DRAINMOD-GIS and WATGIS) that describe the nitrogen loadings at the outlet of poorly drained watersheds were examined with respect to their accuracy and uncertainty in model predictions. Latin Hypercube Sampling (LHS) was applied to determine the impact of uncertainty in estimating field exports and decay coefficients on the uncertainty of the simulated nitrogen loads at the outlet of a 2950 ha coastal plain watershed in eastern North Carolina. Mean daily flow predictions were all within 1% of the observed flows. Except for the WATGIS model, mean daily nitrate-nitrogen load predictions were within 2% of the observed load. Statistical test indicated no difference between the predictions of the different models. Uncertainty analysis indicated that uncertainty in quantifying the field exports has greater impact on the uncertainty of outlet loads than does the uncertainty associated with decay coefficient. The uncertainty of predicted outputs from the DRAINMOD-GIS and WATGIS models are similar.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationFernandez, Glenn P.; Chescheir, George M.; Skaggs, R. Wayne; Amatya, Devendra M. 2004. Comparison of Drainmod Based Watershed Scale Models. Pp. 281-290 in Drainage VIII Proceedings of the Eighth International Symposium, 21-24 March 2004 (Sacramento, California USA), Publication Date 21 March 2004. ASAE Publication Number 701P0304, ed. R. Cooke.
Keywordsdrainage, BMP, nitrogen, watershed, DRAINMOD, water quality
- DRAINMOD-GIS: a lumped parameter watershed scale drainage and water quality model
- WATGIS: A GIS-Based Lumped Parameter Water Quality Model
- DRAINWAT--Based Methods For Estimating Nitrogen Transport in Poorly Drained Watersheds
XML: View XML