Skip to Main Content
Flake Orientation Effects On Physical and Mechanical Properties of Sweetgum FlakeboardAuthor(s): T.F. Shupe; Chung-Yun Hse; E.W. Price
Source: Forest Prod. J. 51(9):38-43.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (147 KB)
DescriptionResearch was initiated to determine the effect of flake orientation on the physical and mechanical properties offlakeboard. The panel fabrication techniques investigated were single-layer panels with random and oriented flake distribution, three-layer, five-layer, and seven-layer panels. Single-layer oriented panels had panel directional property ratios of 11.8 and 12.9 for bending strength and modulus of elasticity (MOE). In the single-layer construction, the bending strength and MOE for the random panels were slightly less than that of the average for the two directions of the oriented panel. Compared to the random panels, multi-layer panels had higher bending properties. Also, the MOE was influenced more than the bending strength by a change in fabrication pattern. Internal bond was unaltered with the panel construction variability. Multi-layered panels did not have a decrease in dimensional change properties as compared with random single-layer panels.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationShupe, T.F.; Hse, Chung-Yun; Price, E.W. 2001. Flake Orientation Effects On Physical and Mechanical Properties of Sweetgum Flakeboard. Forest Prod. J. 51(9):38-43.
- Construction variables considered in fabrication of a structural flakeboard
- Exterior structural composite panels with southern pine veneer faces and cores of southern hardwood flakes
- Flakeboard properties as affected by flake cutting techniques
XML: View XML