Skip to Main Content
A Survery of Timberland Investment Management Organizations Forestland Management in the SouthAuthor(s): Jacek Siry; Frederick W. Cubbage
Source: In: Proceedings of the 31st Annual Southern Forest Econimics Workshop; 2001 March 27-28; Atlanta. Auburn, AL/USA: Auburn University School of Forestry and Wildlife Sciences: 153-156.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (76 KB)
DescriptionThe assets of Timberland Investment Management Organizations (TIMOS) have rapidly grown over the past two decades. indicating their increasing importance for timber supply in the South. A TIMOS survey was conducted to assess their current and future investments and forest management approaches. The results indicate that TIMOS currently hold about 4.2 million acres of forestland in the region. Planted pine dominates their holdings, accounting for 69% of the land. Its share is expected to increase, primarily as a result of forest conversion and/or future land transactions. Over time, planted pine management intensities are predicted to increase substantially. Natural pine, oak-pine, and hardwood forests are managed much less intensively. The survey's results also indicate that TIMOS forest management is similar to the forest industry (FI). TIMOS have impressive growth plans and intend to increase their holdings to 12.2 million acres by 2010. This expansion to large extent depends on the availability of land appropriate for acquisition and appears feasible provided that FI will continue to divest its timberland.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationSiry, Jacek; Cubbage, Frederick W. 2001. A Survery of Timberland Investment Management Organizations Forestland Management in the South. In: Proceedings of the 31st Annual Southern Forest Econimics Workshop; 2001 March 27-28; Atlanta. Auburn, AL/USA: Auburn University School of Forestry and Wildlife Sciences: 153-156.
- Forest statistics for South Mississippi counties - 1987
- North Carolina’s forests, 2013
- Forest statistics for Central Mississippi counties - 1987
XML: View XML