Skip to Main Content
Forest resources of Puerto RicoAuthor(s): Peter A. Franco; Peter L. Weaver; Susan Eggen-McIntosh
Source: Resour. Bull. SRS–22. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station. 45 p.
Publication Series: Resource Bulletin (RB)
Station: Southern Research Station
Download Publication (3.52 MB)
DescriptionThe principal findings of the second forest survey of Puerto Rico (1990) and changes that have occurred since the survey was established in 1980 are presented. The forest inventory estimates describe the timber resource found within the potential commercial region designated in the first survey. The timber resource addressed consists primarily of regrown areas on abandoned pastures and cropland, including coffee production areas. The status and trends of the timber resource are presented for the two Life Zones occurring in the commercial region, as well as for various forest classes, which are based on stand history and origin. Topics discussed include forest area, timberland area, basal area, species composition, timber volume, growing-stock volume, and sawtimber volume. Results of the 1990 survey are promising, showing increases in numbers of trees across all diameter classes and substantial increases in volume. These trends offer evidence that Puerto Rico's forest are continuing to recover following a dramatic decline of the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationFranco, Peter A.; Weaver, Peter L.; Eggen-McIntosh, Susan. 1997. Forest resources of Puerto Rico. Resour. Bull. SRS–22. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station. 45 p.
- Forest resources of Puerto Rico, 1990. Resour. Bull. SRS-22. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station. 4.5 p.
- Forest statistics for North Georgia, 1998
- Growth of Secondary Forest in Puerto Rico Between 1980 and 1985.
XML: View XML