Skip to Main Content
An Analysis of Wood Pellets For Export: A Case Study of Sweden as an ImporterAuthor(s): P.B. Aruna; Jan G. Laarman; Philip A. Araman; Frederick Cubbage
Source: Forest Products Journal. 47(6): 49-52.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: Download Publication (81 KB)
DescriptionNorth America is a major producer of wood pellets, and the principal market for them is domestic residential wood heating. To date, the export market for wood pellets is small. On the other hand , several developments are occurring that may be increasing the foreign demand for biomass fuels. A few North American companies are considering Sweden as a potential export market for wood pellets. Sweden heavily taxes fossil fuels, and plans to phase out nuclear power in the near future. This in addition to various other factors explains Sweden's use of wood pellets as an energy source. This paper briefly reviews the prospects and constraints for this international trade in wood pellets. Many factors favor North American exports, although an important constraint is that the United States does not adhere to international product standards for trade in biomass fuels.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationAruna, P.B.; Laarman, Jan G.; Araman, Philip A.; Cubbage, Frederick. 1997. An Analysis of Wood Pellets For Export: A Case Study of Sweden as an Importer. Forest Products Journal. 47(6): 49-52.
- Continued growth expected for wood energy despite turbulence of the economic crisis : wood energy markets, 2008-2009
- Used Pallets as a Source of Pellet Fuel: Current Industry Status
- North America's wood pellet sector
XML: View XML