Skip to Main Content
Acid-catalyzed rearrangements of flavan-4-phloroglucinol derivatives to novel 6-hydroxyphenyl-6a,llb-dihydro-6H-benzofuro[2,3-c]-chromenes and hydroxyphenyl-3,2'-spirobi[dihydro[l]benzofurans]Author(s): Petrus J. Steynberg; Jan P. Steynberg; Richard W. Hemingway; Daneel Ferreira; G. Wayne McGraw
Source: Journal of Chemical Society, Perkin Transactions I. 2395-2403.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: Download Publication (934 KB)
DescriptionAcetic acid-catalyzed cleavage of proanthocyanidins in the presence of phloroglucinol gives a series of 2R procyanidin- and prodelphinidin-phloroglucinol adducts together with a novel 2S all-cis derivative implicating cleavage of the pyran ring and subsequent inversion of stereochernistry at C-2c. These flavan-4-phloroglucinol adducts also suffer dehydration to products with novel fused dihydrobenzopyr and ihydrobenzofuran rings. In addition, cleavage of the flavan C-10A-C-4c bond followed by dehydration results in unique 3,2'-spirobi[dihydro[l]benzofurans].
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationSteynberg, Petrus J.; Steynberg, Jan P.; Hemingway, Richard W.; Ferreira, Daneel; McGraw, G. Wayne. 1997. Acid-catalyzed rearrangements of flavan-4-phloroglucinol derivatives to novel 6-hydroxyphenyl-6a,llb-dihydro-6H-benzofuro[2,3-c]-chromenes and hydroxyphenyl-3,2''-spirobi[dihydro[l]benzofurans]. Journal of Chemical Society, Perkin Transactions I. 2395-2403.
- Condensed tannins: A novel rearrangement of procyanidins and prodelphinidins in thiolytic cleavage
- Condensed tannins. Base-catalysed reactions of polymeric procyanidins with phloroglucinol: Intramolecular rearrangements
- Catechin-3-0-rhamoside chain procyanidins from mangrove bark
XML: View XML