Skip to Main Content
CT Image Sequence Processing For Wood Defect RecognitionAuthor(s): Dongping Zhu; R.W. Conners; Philip A. Araman
Source: Proceedings, 23rd Southeast Symposium on System Theory
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (410.16 KB)
DescriptionThe research reported in this paper explores a non-destructive testing application of x-ray computed tomography (CT) in the forest products industry. This application involves a computer vision system that uses CT to locate and identify internal defects in hardwood logs. The knowledge of log defects is critical in deciding whether to veneer or to saw up a log, and how to position a log so that the boards sawn from it will have as much clear face as possible. To apply CT to these problems requires efficient and robust computer vision methods. This paper addresses one aspect of the problem of creating such a computer vision system, i.e., the issue of efficient image filtering for suppressing unwanted detail in CT log images. In particular, this paper describes an image filtering method based on a spatial adaptive least squares filter. Simple in structure and efficient in computation, this filter is not based on assumptions about a signal model, but rather on a fixed filtering structure. In conjunction with image segmentation and region growing procedures, the new filter is used in the machine vision system to produce well defined regions that represent areas of potential wood defects.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationZhu, Dongping; Conners, R.W.; Araman, Philip A. 1991. CT Image Sequence Processing For Wood Defect Recognition. Proceedings, 23rd Southeast Symposium on System Theory
Keywordscomputer vision, scanning, logs
- Robust Spatial Autoregressive Modeling for Hardwood Log Inspection
- A Computer Vision System forLocating and Identifying Internal Log Defects Using CT Imagery
- 3-D Signal Processing in a Computer Vision System
XML: View XML