Skip to Main Content
Evaluation of field performance of poplar clones using selected competition indices.Author(s): Chandler Brodie; D.S. DeBell
Source: New Forests. 27: 201–214
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
PDF: View PDF (4.22 MB)
DescriptionUse of competition indices in the analysis of forestry experiments may improve detection and understanding of treatment effects, and thereby improve the application of results. In this paper, we compared the performance of eight indices in an analysis of a spacing trial of four Populus clones planted in pure and mixed clonal plots. Indices were included as covariates in analyses of variance and evaluated on their ability to decrease mean square error. Indices that were simple to calculate (i.e., required only diameter and spacing or distance information) decreased mean square error by as much as 32%. We then illustrate the use of a simple index to assess clonal response to intra- and inter-genotypic competition and to interpret treatment effects confounded by different levels of competition. In pure clonal plots (intra-genotypic competition), all the clones tested reacted similarly to competition, while the same clones tested in mixed plots (inter-genotypic competition) reacted differently to varying levels of competition. The use of a competition index to assess clone rankings within a mixed clonal plot can be an effective way to predict clonal performance within a mono-clonal planting.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBrodie, Chandler; DeBell, D.S. 2004. Evaluation of field performance of poplar clones using selected competition indices. New Forests. 27: 201–214
KeywordsAnalysis, clone, competition index, Populus
- Intra-annual growth and mortality of four Populus clones in pure and mixed plantings
- Poplar breeding and testing strategies in the north-central U.S.: Demonstration of potential yield and consideration of future research needs1
- Response of three Populus species to drought.
XML: View XML