Skip to Main Content
Classification and management of aquatic, riparian, and wetland sites on the national forests of eastern Washington: series description.Author(s): Bernard L. Kovalchik; Rodrick R. Clausnitzer
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-593. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 354 p. In cooperation with: Pacific Northwest Region, Colville, Okanogan, and Wenatchee National Forests
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
Download Publication (8.0 MB)
DescriptionThis is a classification of aquatic, wetland, and riparian series and plant associations found within the Colville, Okanogan, and Wenatchee National Forests. It is based on the potential vegetation occurring on lake and pond margins, wetland fens and bogs, and fluvial surfaces along streams and rivers within Forest Service lands. Data used in the classification were collected from 1,650 field plots sampled across the three forests. This classification identifies 32 series separated into four physiognomic classes: coniferous forests, deciduous forests, shrubs, and herbaceous vegetation. In addition, keys to the identification of 163 plant associations or community types are presented. The report includes detailed descriptions of the physical environment, geomorphology, ecosystem function, and management of each series. This classification supplements and expands information presented in upland forest plant association classifications previously completed for the three eastern Washington forests. It is a comprehensive summary of the aquatic, riparian, and wetland series and contributes to the understanding of ecosystems and their management in eastern Washington.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationKovalchik, Bernard L.; Clausnitzer, Rodrick R. 2004. Classification and management of aquatic, riparian, and wetland sites on the national forests of eastern Washington: series description. Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-593. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 354 p. In cooperation with: Pacific Northwest Region, Colville, Okanogan, and Wenatchee National Forests
KeywordsRiparian, aquatic, wetland, vegetation classification, series description, plant association, plant community, riparian vegetation, riparian ecosystems, eastern Washington
- Deep canyon and subalpine riparian and wetland plant associations of the Malheur, Umatilla, and Wallowa-Whitman National Forests.
- Forested plant associations of the Colville National Forest.
- Field guide for forested plant associations of the Wenatchee National Forest.
XML: View XML