Skip to Main Content
Phylogenetic relationships of the genus Phanerochaete inferred from the internal transcribed spacer regionAuthor(s): Theodorus H. de Koker; Karen K. Nakasone; Jacques Haarhof; Harold H. Burdsall; Bernard J.H. Janse
Source: Mycological research. Vol. 107, no. 9 (Sept. 2003): Pages 1032-1040
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Forest Products Laboratory
PDF: View PDF (135.48 KB)
DescriptionPhanerochaete is a genus of resupinate homobasidiomycetes that are saprophytic on woody debris and logs. Morphological studies in the past indicated that Phanerochaete is a heterogeneous assemblage of species. In this study the internal transcribed spacer (ITS) region of the nuclear ribosomal DNA was used to test the monophyly of the genus Phanerochaete and to infer phylogenetic relationships of the 24 taxa studied. Maximum parsimony, maximum likelihood, and Bayesian analyses do not support the monophyly of the genus. However, a core group of species represented by Phanerochaete velutina, P. chrysosporium, P. sordida, P. sanguinea and others are closely related and group together in a clade. Other common Phanerochaete species including Phanerochaete rimosa, P. chrysorhiza, P. omnivora, P. avellanea, P. tuberculata, P. flava, and P. allantospora, however, do not cluster with the core Phanerochaete group.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
Citationde Koker, Theodorus H.; Nakasone, Karen K.; Haarhof, Jacques; Burdsall, Harold H.; Janse, Bernard J.H. 2003. Phylogenetic relationships of the genus Phanerochaete inferred from the internal transcribed spacer region. Mycological research. Vol. 107, no. 9 (Sept. 2003): Pages 1032-1040
KeywordsPhanerochaete, phylogenetic relationships, internal transcribed spacer region
- Systematics of the Dioryctria abietella Species Group (Lepidoptera: Pyralidae) Based on Mitochondrial DNA Ann
- Phylogeny of Salsoleae s.l. (Chenopodiaceae) based on DNA sequence data from ITS, psbB-psbH, and rbcL, with emphasis on taxa of northwestern China
- A provisional name for taxon of Phanerochaete from South Africa
XML: View XML