Skip to Main Content
Using kinetic models to predict thermal degradation of fire-retardant-treated plywood roof sheathingAuthor(s): Patricia Lebow; Jerrold E. Winandy; Patricia K. Lebow
Source: Proceedings of the 31st North American Thermal Analysis Society Conference, Sept. 22-24, 2003, Albuquerque, NM. [Murray Hill, N.J.] : The Society, 2003:  pages
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: Download Publication (243 KB)
DescriptionBetween 1985-1995 a substantial number of multifamily housing units in the Eastern and Southern U.S. experienced problems with thermally degraded fire-retardant-treated (FRT) plywood roof sheathing. A series of studies conducted at the USDA Forest Service, Forest Products Laboratory (FPL), examined the materials, chemical mechanisms, and process implications and has developed both practical and theoretical solutions for controlling strength effects during treatment and processing and for minimizing strength loss in-service. In addition to a series of technical publications, FPL research contributed to the development of four new ASTM/ANSI performance-based qualification standards to address performance issues as well as two new American Wood Preservers' Association (AWPA) standards to address treatment processing and strength-effect limits. Currently, field serviceability issues that have been quantified are being combined with formerly developed kinetic degradation models to predict service-life of FRT constructions.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLebow, Patricia; Winandy, Jerrold E.; Lebow, Patricia K. 2003. Using kinetic models to predict thermal degradation of fire-retardant-treated plywood roof sheathing. Proceedings of the 31st North American Thermal Analysis Society Conference, Sept. 22-24, 2003, Albuquerque, NM. [Murray Hill, N.J.] : The Society, 2003:  pages
KeywordsKinetic models, thermal degradation, fire-retardant-treated plywood, roof sheathing
- Predicting current serviceability and residual service life of plywood roof sheathing using kinetics-based models
- A comparison of wood preservatives in posts in southern Mississippi : results from a half-decade of testing
- Strength and durability of one-part polyurethane adhesive bonds to wood
XML: View XML