Skip to Main Content
Can laboratory and pilot recycling trials predict adhesive removal in commercial recycling systems? : results from the USPS environmentally benign stamp projectAuthor(s): Carl Houtman; Daniel Seiter; Nancy Ross Sutherland; Donald Donermeyer
Source: Proceedings of the 2002 TAPPI fall technical conference and trade fair, 2002 September 8-22, San Diego, CA. Atlanta, GA: TAPPI Press, 2002:  pages
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: Download Publication (49 KB)
DescriptionThe ultimate goal of the US Postal Service (USPS) Environmentally Benign Stamp Program is to develop stamp laminates, i.e., face paper, adhesive and siliconized liner, that do not cause difficulties in recycling mills. The criterion for success, and the USPS definition of benignity, is the avoidance of process and product quality hardships when such PSA laminates are introduced in significant quantities. However, since it is neither prudent nor cost-effective to test experimental adhesive materials at mill scale, we have developed laboratory scale (360 g pulp) and pilot-scale (112 kg pulp) test methods for determining adhesive performance in recycling environments. Comparison of results from these small-scale trials with mill trial results has shown that there are strong correlations. Furthermore, specifications for environmentally benign stamp adhesives, based on laboratory and pilot results, have been set and accepted by the recycling industry.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHoutman, Carl; Seiter, Daniel; Ross Sutherland, Nancy; Donermeyer, Donald. 2002. Can laboratory and pilot recycling trials predict adhesive removal in commercial recycling systems? : results from the USPS environmentally benign stamp project. Proceedings of the 2002 TAPPI fall technical conference and trade fair, 2002 September 8-22, San Diego, CA. Atlanta, GA: TAPPI Press, 2002:  pages
KeywordsUSPS benign stamp project, recycling, adhesive removal, stickies
- Validation of laboratory-scale recycling test method of paper PSA label products
- Development of USPS Laboratory and pilot-scale testing protocols
- Recycling evaluation of new-generation environmentally benign pressure sensitive adhesives
XML: View XML