Skip to Main Content
Effect of processing method on accelerated weathering of wood-flour/HDPE compositesAuthor(s): Nicole M. Stark; Laurent M. Matuana; Craig M. Clemons
Source: Seventh International Conference on Woodfiber-Plastic Composites (and other natural fibers), May 19-20, 2003 ... Madison, Wisconsin, USA. Madison, WI : Forest Products Society, 2003: Pages 79-87
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (171 KB)
DescriptionWood-plastic lumber is promoted as a low maintenance high-durability product. When exposed to accelerated weathering, however, wood-plastic composites may experience a color change and/or loss in mechanical properties. Different methods of manufacturing wood-plastic composites lead to different surface characteristics, which can influence weathering, In this study, 50% wood-flourfilled high-density polyethylene (HDPE) composite samples were injection molded, extruded, or extruded and then planed, to remove the manufacturing surface characteristics. Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy was used to chemically show the difference in surface components. The samples were weathered in a xenon-arc weathering apparatus for 1000, 2000, and 3000 h and analyzed for color fade and loss of flexural modulus of elasticity and strength. Final color (lightness) after weathering was not dependent on the manufacturing method. However, the manufacturing method was related to mechanical property loss caused by weathering, Composites with more wood component at the surface (i.e., planed samples) experienced a larger percentage of total loss in flexural modulus of elasticity and strength after weathering.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationStark, Nicole M.; Matuana, Laurent M.; Clemons, Craig M. 2003. Effect of processing method on accelerated weathering of wood-flour/HDPE composites. Seventh International Conference on Woodfiber-Plastic Composites (and other natural fibers), May 19-20, 2003 ... Madison, Wisconsin, USA. Madison, WI : Forest Products Society, 2003: Pages 79-87
KeywordsWoodflour-HDPE composites, weathering, high-density polyethylene composites, extrusion, FTIR, injection molding, mechanical properties, polyethylene
- Effect of processing method on surface and weathering characteristics of wood-flour/HDPE composites
- Effect of weathering cycle and manufacturing method on performance of wood flour and high-density polyethylene composites
- Feasibility of using saltcedar as a filler in injection-molded polyethylene composites
XML: View XML